The colder winter seas are here, and conditions are improving. The colder winter water is usually clearer, which is great for some amazing macro underwater photography.
I am also running full PADI Underwater Photography courses almost every day throughout the next few months. This is of course, weather depending.
For those that may already have some underwater photography knowledge, I am also conducting more specific shoots. Ideal for those who wish to learn a bit more. These include this Macro course as well as wide angle underwater photography, and personal tailored shoots to help you with your own camera.
You can contact me directly using the contact-form.
Alternatively, you can book through Pleasure Divers, the islands longest and most established dive shop!
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate: Diving Cert Req'd
Group Size Small Group
Underwater Photography is a fun and exciting way to share the underwater realm, and enjoy the amazing things down there.
The macro course is a 1 day, 1-dive course run in conjunction with Pleasure Divers, Magnetic Island’s most well-established dive centre.
Starting off in the classroom, we will run through some examples of macro photography, and the techniques involved to shoot those images. After that, there is plenty of hands-on practice with the cameras, plus an optional pool practice session if desired. Then we will get to some diving! You’ll be reminded of how to prepare your gear for going underwater, to observe good underwater photography dive practices, and shown how to shoot well-composed and exposed macro images using an external strobe (flash).
After the dive, we will review the images back at the dive shop, and you will learn some basic post-production techniques.
Alma Bay and Geoffrey Bay are two easily accessible dive sites, both within a few minutes walk of the dive shop.
Alma Bay has a large sandy bottom with coral encrusted boulders fringing the bay, and is home to a large amount of Nudibranchs, sometimes seen traveling along the sand and more often amongst the coral.
Geoffrey Bay has the old Moltke Wreck, which has many colourful soft and hard corals growing all over it.
The following will be included:
- A fun, friendly briefing in the classroom, understanding your camera, in a casual yet professional environment.
- A range of underwater camera equipment on a first-come first-served basis. I have 3 complete dive-rigs for use on the course.
- Scuba gear (Mask, snorkel, fins, BCD, Regs, tanks, weights and wetsuit). Or feel free to use your own gear if you have it.
- Optional pool dive session to get acquainted with the camera gear and for some easy-environment practice.
- Patient and clear guidance on how to get the most out of your photography gear.
- A fully guided photography dive of the best parts of the bays for underwater photography, with camera assistance when/if desired.
Please come prepared for a fun dive course. Make sure that you have sunblock, a dry towel, water and your dive certification and log-book. Also, any of your own equipment that you wish to use.
The following is not included:
- Travel insurance and other emergency coverage.
- Food and refreshments.
- Photography equipment beyond the gear listed above.
- Formal PADI UW Photographer certification.